Monday, January 21, 2013

Identity Matters




Who I perceive myself to be exercises a powerful control over everything I do.  Identity matters.

Who are you really?  How many different voices and experiences have fashioned your perception of yourself.  Would people be shocked to find out what you honestly think of yourself?

All of us must deal with the question of our identity every day. For some it seems fairly easy.  For others it is a frightening battle they fear they are about to lose.

I fought the identity battle in my childhood and into my adult life.  Looking back I can now see that this was the most critical battle of my life.  I learned that my sense of identity was impacting every relationship and every move I made in life.

My cure began when I accepted Jesus' offer to lose my personal identity and begin a new identity in Him.  I lost my life to find it.  I had to change identity instead of trying to repair my own identity.  This hurt deeply, but the result has been abundant life and a new, stable identity.

It comes as a shock to us that our personal identity is not adequate do let us be what we really know we should be.  We keep hoping we can tweak the identity we have from our life experience and somehow it will all fall into place and we can be the person we know we should be.  This just does not work.

An old Jewish man named Nicodemos came to Jesus to talk about entering the Kingdom of God.  This deeply religious man had done all a human can do to be the man he knew God would have him to be.  Even so, Jesus looked at Him and said  "You must be born again."   In other words, Jesus was saying to him, "You need to lose your old identity and live the new one the Father and I will give to you."  Identity matters.

Once I lost my old identity I began a daily spiritual discipline of repeating a list of my new identity in Christ.  This habit helped me embrace my new identity in Christ.

Perhaps a part of my list will help you enjoy your new idenity in Christ.

As I awaken each day I know that God wants me to see myself as...

 
  • A Child of God  Romans 8:14-16
  • Crucified with Christ  Romans 6: 6-8
  • Reconciled  Romans 5:10
  • Resurrected  Romans 6: 9-11
  • In Christ  Romans 8:1
  • Free of Condemnation   Romans 8:1
  • Loved John 3:16
  • Secure  Romans 8: 31-39
  • Complete in Christ  Colossians 2:10
  • Forgiven Colossians 1:13-14
  • Saved forever  Ephesians 2:8 and Romans 5:9-10
  • Justified Romans 5:1
  • Sanctified  I Corinthians 6:11
  • New Creation II Corinthians 5:17
  • Redeemed  Galatians 3:13
  • Joint Heir with Christ  Romans 8:17
  • Conqueror  Romans 8:37
  • Justice of God  II Corinthians 5:21
  • Light  Matthew 5:14
  • Salt  Matthew 5:13
  • A Branch of the True Vine John 15:1-8
  • Dead to Sin  Romans 6:11
  • Having the Divine nature  II Peter 1:4
  • Chosen João 15:16
  • One with Christ  John 17:20--21
  • Sealed in Christ  Ephesians 1:13
  • Free  John 8:36

Your new Identity in Christ Matters

Bud McCord
Abide International14

No comments: