Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Stubborn



I love leaders!  I love people who know where they are going and inspire others to go joyfully with them.  Having declared my love for leaders, I need to lovingly tell my leader friends  “Stubborn is not a spiritual leadership gift.”

Listen again to what the fruit of the Spirit is.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is
love,
joy,
peace,
longsuffering,
kindness,
goodness,
faithfulness,
gentleness,
self-control.
Against such there is no law."
Galatians 5:22-23

For too long some leaders have hidden their stubbornness beyond a very thin veneer of spirituality. They have found a way to be stubborn by simply saying to those who follow them  “God gave me this vision.”  

A vision given by God can and must be lived without being stubborn.  If a vision cannot be lived by the fruit of the Spirit, it is not of God.   If the implementation of  a vision requires we force others to follow and use the words “God told me” to gain cooperation, then we are not leading as Jesus lived and led.   

Jesus was not stubborn.  He invited and inspired others to follow Him.  Jesus took on the form of a servant and even washed feet.   

Stubborn may feel good for a time, but it is never a satisfying way to lead.

Truly stubborn leaders end up alone at the top of a pyramid where there is only hot air to keep them company.

 

Bud McCord
Abide International

No comments: