Friday, March 13, 2009

Father forgive them!

I have always been amazed by these words spoken by Jesus as He was being crucified "Father forgive them for they know not what they do." I think I could spend an entire day in the light of those words. I don't get all of what those words mean but I do get the big picture of what God was doing in Christ that day.

Most of the people with whom we interact every day do not get any of what God is doing. That is why they do not get what we are doing either.

In the Message edition of the Scriptures we read these words in John 3.

What marvelous love the Father has extended to us! Just look at it—we're called children of God! That's who we really are. But that's also why the world doesn't recognize us or take us seriously, because it has no idea who he is or what he's up to.



I often want the world to take me as seriously as God takes me. I want the world to truly get what I am up to. They get me so wrong at times.

I watch the conservative news channels on cable here in Brazil and I watch Christians getting so frustrated because America doesn't get it! Can America living apart from God get it? Can Brazilians living apart from God really get why I am in Brazil?

To be like Jesus is to do what we do without expecting people to get it and affirm it.
I know that is hard, but the words "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do" will come in handy if a really bad day in your world comes along.

No comments: