Friday, September 25, 2009

Lesser truths

Everyone's day is filled with moments of truth. Some moments of truth take our breath away. Other truths just come and go.

For instance, here is a truth that will take our breath away--You have cancer.
Here is a truth that will come and go---I am out of printer ink.

What makes a truth powerful is its staying power or its resistance to other truths. A truth will only come and go when we can find a greater truth that makes the lesser truth move out of the way so we can do what we must do.

When I discover I need printer ink, the greater truth of the Office Depot on the corner makes it move out of my mind as a greater truth.
When I discover I have cancer, what can make that truth move out of my mind as the greater truth?

Only taking all current truth captive to a greater truth can keep us moving forward in life doing what we must do. If we cannot find a greater truth than our cancer, we stop at the truth of our cancer that has claim on our mind right now.

Two of our friends here in Brazil recently heard the words "You have cancer". Both are in the process of dealing with this powerful truth. Both are looking for the greater truth that will keep them moving forward with their lives. This finding the greater truth in all circumstances is what Christians call taking every thought captive to Christ.

II Corinthians 10:5 "...casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ"

As believers we must remember to take every thought captive to Jesus. He is always the greater truth that keeps us moving forward in our lives. "Follow Me" means to make Jesus the greater truth--greater than anything from printer ink to cancer.

Jesus said in John 14:6 "I am the way, the truth and the life..." He is the greater truth-always.

I have never heard the words "You have cancer". If I do, I pray that I will also hear the words "I will never leave you or forsake you." If I do not, then the lesser truth--cancer--will be my greater truth until I do. No matter what I hear today, I pray it will give way the the greater truth--"Christ in me the hope of glory."

For the Christian every lesser truth must give way to the greater truth until all truth gives way to the final truth-Jesus.

No comments: