Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Abiding Questions

The questiion we most commonly hear from Brazilians is "Why did you come back to Brazil?" They ask with a mix of happiness and concern. Most people who leave Brazil for the the U.S.A. don't return--especially at our age and with a family as large as ours. I think many Brazilians privately are saying "I would never live so far from my kids and grandkids!" They are happy we are here but concerned about the impact our absence might have on us and on those we love. We have the same concerns.

Their response to us kind of reminds me of people who leave church and say to the pastor "Great sermon!" but privately are saying "I am not sure I understood it or agree with it." On the other hand, there are many who heard the same sermon who say "I understood it, agree with it and I want to live it." I suppose this tension between what makes sense to some and not to others is a part of being a disciple.


I believe to follow Jesus involves moving beyond what once made sense to us. What makes sense is not enough to change what is. It never has been.
It makes no sense to go in the direction of pain unless you want to deal with the root cause of pain. It makes no sense to move away from comfort unless you seek to bring others into comfort. It makes no sense to follow Jesus unless you believe a God governed life leads to the best life. Once Jesus begins to make sense to you, get ready for change.

The other question we most often hear is "What is abiding?" Again, I think they ask with a mix of happiness and concern.
Happiness at the thought of learning something new. Concern that there is something wrong with them. When I tell them Abiding is something they may already be doing it calms them and awakens their interest. When I tell them they lack nothing in order to abide, they get truly excited.

Abiding is simply learning to live and bear fruit for God's glory by being dependent on Jesus for everything. Abiding is to be a branch that is what it is and does what it does because the Vine wants it to. Abiding is to live in a state of satisfaction coming from a source that is perfect for the production of fruit that God wants and the world needs.

Abiding makes no sense in a world like ours. It would appear to be the surest way to get run over by all the forces on the planet. To be a branch in this world is to be dependent and vulnerable. That hardly makes sense in a world bent on control.

When we tell people about Abiding I can see in their faces a longing to be dependent on Jesus but a fear that it might mean a loss of control. When I tell them it does mean a loss of control, their faces drop. When I remind them that Jesus said to consider birds and flowers a good example of no control, the light comes back into their eyes.

This whole Christian life makes no sense in a world that wants God' place and power. I am glad. If it did make sense, it wouldn't change a thing that is. Doing only what makes sense has made history a continous repetition of the same problems and pain. Only when Jesus came and did that which made no sense did the world begin to possess a new kind of sense. That new kind of sense will only make sense to those who have given up control and enjoy dependence on God.

Some questions will abide forever. One of them is "What makes sense to you?" I hope Jesus is making more and more sense to you. If He is, then nothing will ever be the same.

No comments: