Monday, December 08, 2008

Captured

I have been absolutely captured by a single thought for some time now.  When a thought captures me, it seems that I have to stay with the thought until I follow it until I find out exactly where it will take me.  This is often painful and time consuming. It is also exciting and powerful.

The thought is this:  I exist to deliver a certain quantity of God's limitless supply of love into the world.

I believe this thought expresses  the meaning of bearing one's cross as Jesus said in Luke 14:27 "And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.".  I am here, like Jesus was here, to deliver God's love into the relationships God has orchestrated for me through the relational network of my experience here in the world.

The delivery of God's love at the right moment and by the chosen person is what glorifies God.  My delivery of God's love makes the love of God visible and available to those He has specifically chosen me to love.  This delivered love is what Jesus called fruit in John 15.

It is only as God's love is delivered correctly and consistently that lasting relationships can be birthed and sustained between humans.  The love Jesus' cross delivered is universal and eternal.  The kind I deliver is not universal in its efffect  but it can create and sustain relationships God wants to create and sustain.  This delivering of love is what allows me to be like Jesus or be a disciple. "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." John 15:12  As I delivered God's love freely I am like Jesus.  Only when I deliver love am I like Jesus.

You exist to deliver a certain quantity of Divine Love.  You do not need to produce or sustain this love.   You receive it, rejoice in it and release it into the relationships God has given to you.  As you do, God is glorified and you are a disciple.

No comments: