Monday, January 12, 2009

I Can't!




Our seventh grandchild is little Micah. Rachel and Mark's third chid is a real take charge little guy. Yesterday as we were leaving for church he was standing at the door looking up at the door handle saying "I can't!". I couldn't resist. I opened the door and we got on with the next most important thing in his little life.

Jesus told us to seek, ask and knock. “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." Matt. 7:7-8

God the Father finds our desire to move on to the next thing and our words "I Can't" as nearly irresistible, too. The only reason He would say "no" is if we were at the wrong door and headed into trouble. God opens the right doors when we say "I can't'.

Author Mike Wells once described Jesus as "the man who did everything by doing nothing." Jesus always attributed His entire life and success to His Father. Shouldn't we do the same?

Little Micah taught me to keep living my "I can't" life and God will show up full of joy to open the right doors. "I Can't!" is no sign of failure. It is a sign we are at the next door in our lives and going in the right direction.

2 comments:

carol cox said...

I am Rachel's friend, Carol Cox, from Des Moines, Iowa. I couldn't wait to read Micah's I Can't story. I love that little guy. Jeremy (our son) has often spoke highly of you as his mentor, and after reading the I Can't story, I understand why. Thanks for sharing.

bud mccord said...

Carol,
The greatest joy in life is to discover the willingness of God to meet us in our weakness with His strength. Even a man like David in Psalm 23 found his weakness to be the connecting point to God's strength.

I am so glad that little Micah's faith story blessed you just as it blessed me.
Bud