Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Self aware or Christ aware

Nearly every day for the last 30 some years I have begun my day reading from Oswald Chambers Devotional "My Utmost for HIs Highest" Today was no exception.

Here is what he focused on for today. "Anything that disturbs our rest in Him must be rectified at once, and it is not rectified by being ignored but only by coming to Jesus Christ. If we will come to Him, asking Him to produce Christ-awareness in us, He will always do it until we fully learn to abide in Him."

I have learned that self-awareness is born in my attempt to deal with the world and my circumstances out of my own resources.
Most people live 24/7 self-aware. Their goal is simply to survive. Some people still think they can gain, change or win the world and they are so self-aware they are filled with pride and disdain for all weakness.

Over and over again Jesus will allow my self-awareness to be disturbed until I refuse to face life without being aware of Him moment by moment.

When I am aware of Jesus in every circumstance I am at peace. My friend, Mike Wells, has a way of describing this that helps me.
Whenever he hits a difficult circumstance that could disturb his soul, he simply says "Well, amen!". Amen means "So be it".

Christ-awareness will create in us a state of soul that says "Nothing matters, everything matters". On the one hand we will see God as so sufficient we will not be troubled at all. On the other hand our love for others will heighten as our self awareness dies away.

I find it helpful when my soul is disturbed and my self-awareness grows to put my hand over my heart and whisper "Jesus, I am yours." Oneness with Jesus moment by moment settles the disturbed soul and makes self-awareness give way to Christ-awareness.

Well, so be it! Jesus, I am yours!

No comments: