Thursday, September 22, 2005

the same


Have you ever considered trying to keep something the same a challenging goal? For me, most of my life has been about trying to make things better--not the same.
Today I woke up to the thought in Hebrews 13:8 that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. The verse in Matthew 10 that says it is enough that a disciple be as his teacher speaks to the same issue. To always be be the same is quite an accomplishment.
To be able to forgive 70 x 7 is to be the same. To be able to turn the other cheek and go the extra mile is to be the same. To be loving others--even enemies-- no matter what is happening is to be the same. By their same fruit you will know them.

I was given a beautiful potted plant for my office when I arrived here in Brazil. Poor plant! For a plant to be given to Bud McCord is a death warrant. I always forget to water them and give them light. Even so, they never change. They keep trying to please me and produce beauty in my office. They don't judge me or hate me. They remain the same. They keep on being what God intended no matter what I do. They suffer and they may even die, but the will be the same from start to finish.

I am going to spend the rest of my life trying to be the same--the same as Jesus. That will be enough.

No comments: